Friday, June 20, 2008

End of Week 1

I have just finished my final draft of my first story, about elite long-jumper Akeeba McKinney. It was an interesting process, I visited the Olympic training center in Chula Vista, and interviewed her in person. Usually, at my high school paper, my interviews are conducted in informal situations. Most of the students on staff seem to simply clamor for one sustainable quote instead of actually looking out for some meaningful ideas when they interview others. I realize from all that I have learned here from the various professionals that the world of high-school Journalism and real-world Journalism is very different. The ethics involved, the sources you need, the connections you can make, the photos you can integrate, it is all amazing. I find it funny that almost all of the Journalists that I have talked to warn me not to go into their field. However, the college lecture that we had kept my hopes up. The professor from Pt. Loma Nazarene assured us that there will always be a need for storytellers,and that a degree in Journalism is also a good basis for other careers such as law or politics. The campus here is amazing, I am not looking foward to going home to the 100 degree heat. And it has been fun having access to the cafeteria buffet every day, it seems like all we do here is eat, write and socialize, which is fine with me. The Union Tribune tour was fascinating, I never knew that they still printed the paper the old-fashioned way. All of the reporters working seemed confused by our presence, but it was cool seeing their reaction to our tour guide, Mr. Feldman, who worked on staff for 30 years. And I must say, this is one of the best keyboards that I have ever had the pleasure of working with. My fingers seem to fly over the keys with more ease than ever before. I am going to the Death Cab for Cutie concert tonight at SDSU, and will write a review for my second story. It will be interesting to compare the final printed copy of The Lighthose with my school newspaper, and analyze how good editing and professional photography will enhance the final product. It has been fun comparing journalistic experiences with the other students, and I look foward to another week of fun.
PS the dungeon was not as menacing as it sounds

No comments: